Tuesday, 25 August 2026

Las Malvinas Son Argentinas

 As most know, I have no interest in Sports, and most definitely None in Football. If 22 young, very fit young men earn their living chasing an inflated leather ball around a large grass pitch, excite many, I am left stone, icy cold. 


But, I have to admit, many millions of Brits do follow this strange ideal, and follow their ‘Team’ with an almost religious fervor.


Every four years, the many thousands following their nation’s teams in this United Kingdom spend huge sums of sparse cash in travel and ticket expenses, just to watch and support their Team; all in the faint hope that THIS TIME, their hopes and indeed their anguish will be rewarded with success. Indeed, in England’s ONLY success in 1966’s World Cup, this whole country was flying that Union Flag with almost no dissenters. 


But now, fast forward to the present day, the Nation watched as THEIR team, some 60 years after that famous victory, get beaten by their fiercest rivals Argentina in one of the CUP Semi-finals.


Although I did not watch the match, I did read many of the reports which described the actions of those Argentinian as almost criminal in their lack of sportsmanship and in foul play.


But the actions I since both watched and read about happened after the final whistle blew, giving Argentina the win.


Two of the Argentinian players grabbed a banner from Argentinian supporters which held the grossly offensive (to British eyes) term Las Malvinas Son Argentinas, which translates as THE FALKLAND ISLANDS ARE ARGENTINIAN. Four of those Argentinian Players held to that banner, in what had to be a grossly political offense to ALL British people, knowing that some 255 British military personnel died in that short but vicious conflict around those windswept Islands. 


Some commentators favour banning Argentina from the next  World Cup, many demand individual bans against the players who took part in that grossly offensive banner waving.


Myself, I would require a statement from the Argentinian President, apologising for the gross insult given our War Dead, and the withdrawal of Work Visas against the four or five so-called players who took part in that true Insult to the brave men who, by their own sacrifice, helped restore the Falklands to their rightful place as a British Overseas Territory.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A reminder, dear reader, that you're welcome to comment as Anon but if so, please invent a moniker to appear somewhere in your text ... it tells Watchers nothing, it does help the readers.