Tuesday, 21 July 2026

Of Maggie and the Falkland Islands

… from the perspective of an American lady who recalls the time. We have writers, regular and occasional, over at Unherdables. One is Toodles, from southern Alabama, and that’s what makes these recollections so different on Maggie Thatcher and the Falkland Islands. Without any further ado:


James, starting with your second post first. 

1. Maggie, Margaret Thatcher?  I know her. I have met her. She gave me a lovely porcelain clay tea pot. The lid was fashioned into a magnolia flower and leaves and stem. Sounds tacky but wasn’t. I used it for years. 

    She came to our town on a speaking tour sometime in the 1990’s. There was a dinner and a speech, as is the fashion of a visiting dignitary. It was in the smaller ballroom in which there were probably no more than a hundred guests.  There was limited seating. I cannot recall just why we were there, well except too see her.  I will ask Cuddles who was sponsoring the shindig. I am sure we paid, but not sure if we just reserved or if we were invited. 

    She was a delight. She made a great speech. Personable and charming, seems to have been intelligent, smart and sharp. Not everyone who is smart is sharp. She spoke of her friendship and working relationship  with Ronnie R . She showed him much respect … almost wistful at times talking about different conversations and joint plans, so on. She appreciated his sense of humour. 

    I recall she had lovely skin.  I’ve forgotten the colour of her outfit. I actually  recalled it for a long time but that section of the brain chamber has been shut off.  Her hair was that strawberry-ish soft red. And it was slightly out of style which was nonetheless attractive on her and I thought, “Good, the former PM wasn’t trendy but instead classic.” 

    Who knows if it is all a sham and if  it was part of the Truman Show put on just for us🤷‍♀️.  At the time we so enjoyed meeting her and listening to her speak about many things and guess what? She definitely spoke about the F. Islands.

    2. Speaking of that, I heard about that ‘incident’ in the early summer of 1982. June maybe, well unless it was late May. It was fitted in the cusp of  either two months. 

    We were en route to the Great  Smoky Mountains … went with friends. On the day the war started we  were also attending the Unofficial World’ s Fair in Knoxville TN.  We had been married some months. That is why I recall the F Island time line as to when it started. We had never heard of the F I’s. We were very nervous for you countrymen.  It was all over the radio on our long ride up and over to the mts! 

    How ‘bout those Falkland Islands … they became a tagline for all of us. We had two cars between us. Back then the cars were spacious and nice for traveling. None of us young adults or teens of course had children yet.

    So yes, to the Falkland Islands, we say. Interesting about the political aspect. Wow. We were actually pulling for Spain in the soccer. Argentina  cheaters?  Pro sports are wicked and now is our college sports.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    A reminder, dear reader, that you're welcome to comment as Anon but if so, please invent a moniker to appear somewhere in your text ... it tells Watchers nothing, it does help the readers.