Tuesday 19 March 2024

Football, Dylan, and other lunacies

 

As a young man, I did consider pushing on and going to achieve a University education, but sometimes circumstances overrule plans; so instead went into an Apprenticeship (in the days when that term really meant something) in a mixed factory complex; attended Technical College on a day-release programme to bolster and gain both experience and knowledge. I sometimes wondered what my life would have been like if I had pushed on to a University Degree, but looking back is never going to change things. I chose a British Merchant Navy  life, and then I realised exactly how much more I had to learn; because on a ship, all problems electrical come straight to the Electrical Engineer: and you fixed them, because there is no-one else. I don’t regret my choice of life, because otherwise I would not have met the love of my life, we married after I had laid siege to her: we had three kids, a good life, marred only by a mental illness which gripped my love. I lost her after 53 years of marriage; lost her to an NHS hospital which simply did not care; and she was left to die, alone and un-comforted.


But the bitterness eases with time, and life does go on regardless; along with all the foolishness which has come to stand as ‘Just another Lunacy’ to those of us who shake their heads in silent disbelief at the sheer stupidity of many if not most of the ‘Woke’ biblical philosophies which are thrown at us almost every day. I was listening to the BBC Today programme this morning, and a slot came where Bob Dylan’s life and early years was being discussed, and I literally stopped in my tracks at hearing that there was a American University Degree Course in Studying Bob Dylan’s works, music and lyrics: now I always thought that, at my ripe old age, I had heard everything: but hearing lectures about Bob Dylan? 


But worse was to follow, because further along in the Today Sports schedule, was a piece about how Nottingham Forest F.C. had been deducted some League points because of financial irregular actions deemed to be outside the norm. The club was said to be appealing against the deduction because it would place them in the Relegation area. Now this must be fascinating to those unfortunates whose religion is Football; but the rest of us? The true lunacy was to follow, as the man asked to comment upon Nottingham’s travails was announced as a Senior Lecturer in Football Finance at Liverpool University. 


I rest my case

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unburden yourself here: