Wednesday 17 August 2022

I Don't Think It's God's Own Country Anymore...

Ah, Yorkshire, fondly-remembered holiday destination of my youth, bucolic setting for... 

Oh:
A young woman has told of her horror after she found a man's freshly severed hand on the floor of a Huddersfield club after he was attacked by two males armed with machetes.

Nice! 

The drama unfolded around 5.15pm last night at Deighton WMC when the men in balaclavas ambushed a man in the club's smoking shelter. The incident comes just months after another man had one of his arms partially chopped off with a machete near the club in February.

When did Huddersfield turn into Mogadishu? 

Still, at least some of the natives retain the phlegmatic practicality I remember:

The woman, who lives just yards away, said: "I heard this sudden scrunch of metal and went to take a look and there was this man bleeding with his hand twitching on the floor. I picked it up and took it home and started clearing out my freezer.
"My dad told me to put in a bag surrounded by ice cubes and take it back to the club which I did."

Although...perhaps there's such a thing as being too phlegmatic: 

"I'd seen these two males who attacked him seconds before. And although they were in balaclavas I didn't think anything of it, it's not unusual around here. The next time I saw them they were running away - both were carrying huge machetes."

*blinks* 

5 comments:

  1. Is there no mention of the victim having suffered any other injuries to his person, or did the criminals just do off his hand? If so, was this attack a gang related punishment attack? And I suppose the obvious question: what ethnicity is the victim?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like another unintended consequence of the smoking ban. If the victim hadn't been forced out there to enjoy his occasional recreational smoke, maybe he'd still be a two-hander.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may be a pedant, but I'm definitely not from Yorkshire. However, the expression is "God's own County".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brings to mind the day Jesus phoned God and asked why he wasn't at his seat in Heaven. "I'm in Yorkshire, son, it's because of Covid, I'm working from home now".

      Delete
  4. The government are supposed to be doing the hand-outs, not some random balaclava-clad hooligans.

    ReplyDelete

Unburden yourself here: