Wednesday 6 April 2022

The Blame Game...

It's lack of resources!

We don’t have enough bodies on the ground. It’s not just midwives, though. We’re also short of obstetricians, maternity support workers and admin staff, too. That means that midwives end up getting stretched doing lots of things that could easily be done by someone else, like filling in paperwork so that a mother can go home with her baby. As a result their skills, especially to monitor women and babies, aren’t used.

It's the way those resources treat you!

After interminable hours, a doctor was called and then another. They attempted a ventouse delivery and I can remember the cup popping off the baby’s head and the doctor reeling backwards. Next the forceps were used and finally after hours of pain my son was delivered. He was big for a first baby and bore the scars of the forceps blades down both sides of his face.
At a checkup at 37 weeks, I was dismissed by my consultant when I enquired whether I might need a C-section this time. Due to the “natural birth” dogma I had ingested, it was something that I did not ask for loudly enough, too intimidated by this senior doctor who dismissed my fears and worries; telling me that a 4kg baby was not considered to be large.
I had a third baby. That baby was born in a different county after an initial meeting with the consultant at Shrewsbury where I was yet again belittled and my fears dismissed. I was once more refused a C-section. This time everything was different. My views and thoughts were listened to and I gave birth in a controlled and managed environment.

Who to believe..? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unburden yourself here: