Wednesday 25 October 2023

One Less Of Your Kind Is A Good Thing

This is the grandstanding 'climate scientist' who will be sacked for refusing to fly home:
Many people have asked why it is so important for me to travel as low-carbon as possible.

And far, far more have said 'Who?' 

I have three reasons. First, I want to be consistent with my moral commitment to avoid flying. Aviation is the biggest contributor to climate change of all forms of transport, a major factor in the rise in temperatures and the extreme weather events that we are witnessing more and more frequently all around the world.

Apart from that big ball of burning hydrogen in the sky, you mean? 

Second, I promised all the 1,800 participants in my research in Bougainville that I would return low-carbon. I want to keep my promise. White men (of whom I am one, as I am frequently reminded here) are often referred to as giaman – liars, fraudsters in Tok Pisin – probably with good reason given the country’s turbulent colonial past. I do not want to be seen as giaman.

I wonder what the native's word for 'sucker!' is? 

Finally, and most importantly, I hope my case might put a little crack into the wall of “selfishness, greed, and apathy”, which, in the words of climate lawyer Gus Speth, is the main hindrance to stopping runaway climate change. Many people will think that it is madness to give up their dream job to avoid taking one flight. But in the current era of climate breakdown, it is, in my opinion, insane to continue with “business as usual”, when science tells us that we are either dangerously close to or past the point of collapse for major ecosystems.

Yes, but the people who tell us that most often - the politicians and luvvies - aren't following your example, are they? They clearly don't believe what you claim. And with good reason. 

At the time of writing, I am waiting to embark on the cargo ship on the first leg of my low-carbon journey to Europe. When I arrive in Europe in about 45 days, I will be jobless. If, on my way, I manage to persuade people that our planet is seriously endangered and that radical, extraordinary action is needed, losing my job will have been a price worth paying.

Our planet has lasted millenia, and will continue to do so. We'll adapt. Like we always have done. Those who can't? Well, they'll wind up like you. 

1 comment:

  1. This attitude smacks of:
    Turn on
    Tune in
    Drop out
    Perhaps this character took too much LSD as a student.
    Or he's a graduate of the MKUltra programme .

    ReplyDelete

Unburden yourself here: