Thursday 25 August 2022

Energy prices

We just can't trust these people.  This is the US situation via Last Refuge but the story's similar over here:
My jaw came near the floor when I opened July’s electricity bill to find a notification of a 28% increase in electricity rates, effective immediately.  An increase of 28%…. just like that. This month, August, even higher with less use.
My gas bill change was months ago, unless they have another hike in mind.  Call it stoopid on my part but I agreed to a direct debit fixed amount, i.e. they must go through a procedure to increase that.  Their way around it was a letter yesterday that I'd 'agreed' to a smart meter, so please call to arrange installation.

We're talking two and a half years ago and it was discussed, that's all.  The woman at the end of the phone concluded that it was not possible anyway to install a smart meter due to distances from meter to something or other.  That's what I'll be telling this new aggressive approach of theirs.

I use minimal electricity, they keep checking the meter, which is PAYG.  They're not making money at about £5 a week, so they are hitting the gas.  I was using about £3 a week in summer, £13 a week in winter ... doable.  They bumped it up to £80 a month, flat.

The issue is stopping the coercion, ditto with heat pumps. First approach is to ignore them, so any move is theirs.  Second will be to refuse, as with the deathjab.

I'd be interested in your situation.

2 comments:

  1. Penseivat.
    I understand that a smart meter should not be installed where a resident or regular visitor has a heart pacemaker, as the Wi-Fi signals from the meter can affect the pacemaker. My late wife had a pacemaker fitted and was told by her consultant never to use the microwave, or go into the kitchen when it was on. Shirley, having a smart meter fitted is not obligatory. Likewise with heat pumps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Smart" meter is purely optional - your choice.
    They are getting desperate because The Gubment is anxious to get rid of load of our money, "funding", set aside for this wizard wheeze.
    Gubment cronies flogging these things have a lot of "investment" awaiting a "fair return".
    Tell them to stick it.
    If you already have one be sure to keep it warm by totally enclosing it in a layer of three of aluminium foil.

    ReplyDelete

Unburden yourself here: