Thursday 30 March 2023

Dumb phones

DAD, one of our regular reader/contributors, has this:

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2023/03/29/dumb-phones-are-on-the-rise-in-the-us-as-gen-z-limits-screen-time.html
Dumb phones may be falling out of fashion on a global scale, but it's a different story in the U.S.:

Companies like HMD Global, the maker of Nokia phones, continue to sell millions of mobile devices similar to those used in the early 2000s. This includes what's known as "feature phones" — traditional flip or slide phones that have additional features like GPS or a hotspot.
DAD adds: {I never realised the for many years that I've been a trend-setter.}

Yes, I have two “dumbphones” myself and love em … zero data, no net connectivity … juss the calls, ma’am, juss the calls. Drives the company nuts. I hide behind my age and therefore my lack of knowledge of all things modern tech, I explain on my dumbphone to the girl at the utilities company or NHS … I’m juss an ole thicky, me. Silly ole Jimbo.

I’d suggest, Laze and Gem, that if you’ve not considered this strategy, now’s the time to start.  We are under cyber-pressure bigtime.

1 comment:

  1. Still got my Nokia slide phone from way back. My technophobe beloved uses it now for emergencies, I will take it if I don’t want to be tracked. My worry is that whatever signal it uses (2G?) is going to be turned off soon. I suspect that a modern "dumb" phone with GPS can still be tracked to much greater accuracy than cell tower triangulation.

    ReplyDelete

Unburden yourself here: