Wednesday 20 April 2022

Does The 'Guardian' Realise What It's Inadvertently Published Here?

Sunita Ghosh Dastidar - a journalist and filmmaker, apparently - on the terrible injustice of foodbanks:
I grew up in Whinney Banks in Middlesbrough, one of the most deprived areas in England, with almost a third of children living in income-deprived households. My mum is a first-generation immigrant, and my parents had to start from nothing here. For a while, we were homeless – when my mum was heavily pregnant with my brother – and I took my first steps in a hostel for families.

Hmmm, OK. But since you grew up to be a journalist, it clearly worked. I guess you must be one of those hard working immigrants who triumphed without handouts and...

Wait! 

We were eventually moved from the homeless hostel into a brand-new council house a few streets away from the corner shop where my parents used to work.

Immigrants getting council houses? I thought that was 'a myth spread by the far Right' according to the progressive press? 

Such housing is available to far fewer people now.

Well, yes, and it's no wonder, isn't it? We ran out of supply! 

People like Mark and Kath are doing what they can and their resolve to help their local community by filling people’s stomachs should be commended. But we need political intervention rather than community intervention. I was partly lifted out of poverty because of the help I received through government funding for community services, and that’s what we need now.

You mean, you want the government to stick its hand even deeper into my pocket for people who come here for a free ride? No! We're not putting up with that any longer.

2 comments:

  1. Homeless but can't keep legs shut. It no longer surprises me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doesn't this person personify the term Gimmegrant?

    ReplyDelete

Unburden yourself here: