Friday 12 November 2021

"I Didn't Know My Own Mind..."

"...so neither do you, and you must be prevented from doing what I did for your own good."

The current proposals to allow adults to give “informed consent” would not have protected me, nor indeed the thousands of others like me who willingly undertook conversion therapy because we believed it was the right thing to do. Indeed, everyone we knew believed it was the right thing to do.
...
I am a relatively strong person, and it nearly broke me – sadly many others are not so lucky, and tragically come to a point of believing that the only way out is to take their lives. That’s why conversion practices need to be banned outright, with no exceptions.

Does that include the sort of 'conversions' practiced by the transgender clinics as well, I wonder? I bet it doesn't! 

The government needs to think again. First, it must learn from the experiences of survivors and prioritise their concerns, for we are the true experts. We know better than anyone what needs to be banned, and how best to do this.

There's a reason we don't let victims determine the punishment for an offender for any other crime. So why should we let them determine policy?

Second, the government needs to listen to the senior human rights lawyers who have set out in the Cooper report why religious freedoms can and must be limited when significant harm is being caused.

Does anyone else suspect that all religious freedoms is really what is meant by this? Or only certain religions? 

2 comments:

  1. It's always these matters that attract those who function on their emotions. And it seems to me that decisions based on emotions are mostly if not always, short term.
    These people seem to be incapable of analysing anything beyond the immediate and that's why I think commies can appear to hold contradictory opinions all at the same time. Each opinion is registered in a box of its own never too be connected to any other opinion.

    I have long time thought that commies do have a talent for analysing subjects and situations but what they are incapable of doing is developing sensible solutions to problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shot term, and often ultimately futile...

      Delete

Unburden yourself here: